Pilates Method Alliance®
Professional Association & Certifying Agency
Miami, FL 33137-0906 USA
The Pilates Method Alliance (PMA®) is the international, not-for-profit, professional association and certifying agency dedicated to the teachings of Joseph H. and Clara Pilates. Their mission is to foster community, integrity, and respect for diversity; establish certification and continuing education standards; and promote the Pilates method of exercise.
PMA is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt, professional association and certifying agency. The PMA is dedicated to professional, charitable, educational, and scientific purposes.
The PMA is governed by a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors has authority over all functions related to the professional association. The PMA’s Certification Commission oversees and supervises the PMA Certification Program. All board and commission members are unpaid volunteers. A salaried administrative staff implements directives from both groups.
- To establish teaching Pilates as a profession.
- Establish and maintain a professional certification exam.
- Encourage professional growth through continuing education.
- Define the parameters of Pilates teaching and expertise.
- Maintain standards while respecting the various approaches to Pilates.
- Promote the benefits of Pilates exercise to the consumer public.
- Serve as an information resource for all Pilates constituents.
- Maintain a registry of PMA® Certified Pilates Teachers (PMA-CPTs).
- Maintain a registry of Pilates training organizations that includes verified information for review and comparison.
- Encourage feedback and evaluate our organization to meet the needs of the community we serve.
The Pilates Method Alliance was formed in 2001 as a professional association for the Pilates community. Its purpose was to provide an international organization to connect teachers, teacher trainers, studios, and facilities dedicated to preserving and enhancing the legacy of Joseph H. Pilates and his exercise method by establishing standards, encouraging unity, and promoting professionalism. The organization grew, and developed the first industry wide Pilates-specific educational conference, now called the PMA’s Annual Meeting. The aim of industry unification led the PMA to develop a third party professional credential (or “certification”), which was launched in 2005. This credential was created through consultation with a wide range of Pilates experts across the field, under the direction of professional psychometricians, and it serves the Pilates community and the public by validating that a Pilates teacher meets entry level standards for safety and competency.
- As a professional association, the PMA offers a wide range of membership benefits.
- As a certifying agency, the PMA created and manages a third party professional certification program for Pilates teachers. A successful exam candidate becomes a PMA® Certified Pilates Teacher (PMA®-CPT). PMA®-CPTs are listed on the PMA website.
- The PMA has established a Registry of Schools. The Registry is designed to feature teacher training programs that meet established criteria. The Registry is listed on the PMA website.
- The PMA sponsors an Annual Meeting that brings together teachers and students from around the globe. The Meeting features continuing education workshops, mat classes, panel discussions, round tables and an exhibition hall for Pilates professionals. The plenary and workshops are given by leading professionals and researchers in the field of Pilates.
To find out more about the Pilates Method Alliance visit: www.pilatesmethodalliance.org